Posted By: bandit
Sony has sent their MIB (lawyers in black suits) to the door step of George Hotz aka "geohot"!
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(2)(C) – Confidential Information On Computer
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(4) – Intent To Defraud And Obtain Value
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(A) – Knowing Transmission of Code
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(5)(B) and (C) – Intentional and Reckless Damage And Loss
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(6)(A) – Trafficking in Password
- 18 U.S.C. § 1030(a)(7)(B) – Intent to Extort
Geohot recently posted the PS3 'root key', video of his 3.55 jailbreak along with his signing tools to install and run homebrew.
It seems Sony has decided they have had enough of this, and as of Jan. 11, 2011 have filed a lawsuit against George Hotz, which will be filed under the court docket of 'C 11-00167 JCS'.
Geohot has updated his website with two court papers, which you can also find attached here now:
As of 1/11/2011 7:20 PM EST, I have been served with papers, see below...
old front page, with relevant info removed, is here
contact me geohot ... gmail
any legal fund donation things you see are 100% fake as of now, don't get scammed
What is also interested is that the court filings also show that Sony is also going after the members of Team fail0verflow and are listed as named aka Bushing (Cantero), Sven (Sven Peter) and Marcan (Hector Martin) as defendants!
Marcan via Twitter:
Ah, so Sony decided to sue everyone under US law. Guess I won’t be visiting the US in a while…
Fail0verflow via Twitter:
Source: PSX-Scene via Geohot
Files attached via comments