May 7th, 2018, 20:01 Posted By: wraggster
New for PS4:
Soon, hopefully we will see nice PSXITARCH for v5.01, but for now the nice scene folks over at PS3ITA have assembled, basically the best 'Linux Distro' you can run on your exploitable v4.05 or v4.55 PS4 consoles, so good it runs Kodi, RetroArch and More!
UPDATE of 05/05/18: Fixed the name “Arch Linux”, added English translation (thanks to “AdZx”) and a trick to improve the FPS in some games and emulators.
Psxitarch is a linux distribution for PS4 based on Arch Linux, developed to be light, with low resource usage and easy to install.
It includes the graphics drivers (radeon drm, radeonsi) needed to use 3D hardware video acceleration, kernel 4.14.14, support for * bluetooth, * wi-fi, ethernet and USB sound cards.
NOTES ON APPLICATIONS
- Window manager: jwm
- Terminals: lxterminal, xterm
- Web Browser: midori
- Network Manager: wicd
- File manager: pcmanfm
- Emulators/Games: steam, retroarch (MULTI EMU), mupen64plus (N64), snes9x (SNES), epsxe (PSX), ppsspp (PSP)
- Utilities: playonlinux (Gui for wine), leafpad (Text editor), htop (System monitor), xreader (PDF viewer), xarchiver (Archive manager), blueman (Bluetooth manager)
- Multimedia: gpicview (Img viewer), xnoise (Audio/video player)
If you have installed a new program and want to make it show up in the main menu go in Jwm Config and select Updates Menu
If you want to start Steam use the voice Steam (Native), only if a game does not work use Steam (Runtime).
In Retroarch you will find only a few preinstalled cores (mame, genesis, turbograf and nes), you can install others by starting a retroarch and going to Online Updater and download cores. Some cores may require bios to function properly, copy them into /home/psxita/.config/retroarch/bios.
For those who ask, we have not included dolphin-emu in the distro because the recent versions in the repo and git do not work properly on PS4. We have compiled an old version and it seems to work with a simple “workaround” (you have to start dolphin together with glxgears), if you are desperate we can let you have it.
Kodi, has not been included in the distro for reasons of space, but you can easily install it and it should work without any modification.
IMPROVES FPS STABILITY IN SOME GAMES/EMULATORS
Open a terminal, write in fglxgears leave the program run, start the game/emulator you want play.
Audio via HDMI is not working but there are various ways to get around this
- Use a USB sound card (found at a euro on ebay)
- Streaming via bluetooth (if working) audio (you can use bluetooth speakers or headphones)
- Use the Dualshock 4 (or the Nacon Revolution) connected via USB with a pair of headphones
The wifi or/and the bluetooth may not work on some PS4 or be unstable, the reason is not yet clear (does not seem to depend on the model of PS4)
COMPATIBLE PS4 MODELS
Psxitarch supports all PS4 models except PS4 PRO.
On PS4 PRO the 3D hardware acceleration does not work, you will be relegated to that software, the reason you can find it here:
- A USB device (3.0 recommended) formatted in FAT32 of a size no less than 12GB
- Hub usb (optional)
- The payload to start linux: Download per fw 4.55 – Download per fw 4.05
- The bzImage (kernel): Download md5: 85d3a15a22380591f5519122f436c7ba
- The initramfs: Download md5: a3e4d2e6a15fea750ed4e8cccacfa112
- The psxitarch.tar.xz file (the distro): Download md5: 26bae18ccc2e2173109a7fd954657c08
The USB device that you will use will be completely formatted, all the data will be deleted!!
- Copy the initramfs, the bzImage and the psxitarch.tar.xz file to the root of the USB device
- Connect the USB device to the PS4, if you have connected other USB devices disconnect them (you must have only one USB device connected)
- Start the exploit
- Start the payload
- Wait a few seconds, the screen should go black and then the rescueshell screen will appear
- Connect the keyboard, write: exec install-psxitarch.sh (the keyboard layout is set to US, to write the dash you have to use the key ')
- Wait until the distro is installed (you should see a long list of files that are copied to the USB), the installation time varies from USB to USB (if you are crazy enough to install the distro on USB 2.0 it should take about 25 minutes)
- After the installation the distro should start by itself and show you the login screen, if it doesnt start, write exec start-psxitarch.sh (from the next restart the distro should start alone, you will not have to write anything)
- On the login screen, enter your username psxita and password changeit
We want to thank with all our heart those who have contributed and continue to contribute to the development of Linux on PS4
- failoverflow (without them we probably will not have linux)
- All the guys in the discord channel Official Playstation 4 Scene
- Thanks guys !!
The distro is not free from bugs and imperfections but we hope this is a first step to make linux more accessible, hoping in the future to improve it thanks to your help.
OFFICIAL SOURCE: --> https://www.ps3ita.it/psxitarch-linu...istro-per-ps4/
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 0 comments - Join In and Discuss Here