April 14th, 2018, 21:32 Posted By: wraggster
Heres some interesting news for PS3 Emulation:
RPCS3 is improving every month, and March 2018 saw a huge leap forward in emulating PS3 games on our Desktop Rigs, and they are happy less than 1% are in 'nothing at all' category, as you can see below in the 'Summary of the Report', alot of progress has occurred.
March saw a lot of core improvements and these can be broken down into the following:
- Pretty big rendering improvements in games such as NFS:Carbon and Skate 2 thanks to a typo fix.
- Stability improvements thanks to memory management improvements.
- Other renderer improvements that include a whole slew of fixes to Unreal Engine games such as Drakengard 3
- Improvements to some games such as ‘The Last Of Us’, LEGO Batman 2, Crysis and more!
This month’s main focus were renderer and RSX improvements and one of the most peculiar ones was dubbed the ‘typo fix’. Through the correcting of a value from ‘2’ to ‘3’ from ‘pauls-gh’, many games got their textures fixed and no longer look odd!
Affected games include:
- Dante’s Inferno
- Skate 2
- NFS Carbon
- LittleBigPlanet Karting
- Many other titles so you should try the latest dev build if you ever experienced odd texture issues since the 3D textures in the game you want to play may have been fixed!
On another, more substantial note, kd-11 did some big RSX improvements which removed the reliance on some hacks, improved accuracy and fixed shadows in many games like Uncharted and Red Dead Redemption. kd-11 also did some major improvements to Unreal Engine games so textures now render much better due to brightness, gamma, bloom and shadow fixes. Developer Javerson has also added a register called ‘vertex_data_base_index’ which fixes graphics in games such as Lego Starwars III, Valkyria Chronicles and Alone in the Dark among others.
Stability improvements by removing the MFC thread and games that have seen improvements
Nekotekina, the project’s founder and lead developer, has removed the separate MFC controller thread, which is responsible for some aspects of memory management, and integrated it into the SPU threads. This fixes thread sync issues and gives a decent stability boost to the emulator!
Taking off the focus from the technical aspect, this month also saw a great deal of improvements to select game titles such as:
- The Last Of Us – It can now display some graphics and menus if you’re patient enough! Performance is still sub-par however
- Skate 3 – This game runs pretty well even at 4K and benefited from RSX improvements by kd-11
- Crysis – Crysis got in game but why should you be playing it in an emulator.. on a PC?? Well, now RPCS3 can run Crysis.. kinda
- Drakengard 3
- Asura’s Wrath
- Many other games such as Ninja Gaiden Sigma and NIER
You can read more about what occurred with RPCS3 over the last month in their March 2018 Report and remember if you have even tried it just once on your Desktop Rig throw them a 'few bucks' to show your thanks via their RPCS3 Patreon page.
NEWS SOURCE: RPCS3 March 2018 report in a nutshell (via) Wololo
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 1 comments - Join In and Discuss Here