March 14th, 2007, 12:53 Posted By: b8a
It's been a few weeks since NJ released his latest update, but since I've been busy trying to nail down a process for creating accurate rips of PC Engine S/CD games on OS X (all with open source software), I haven't had a chance to compile NJ's converters until now.
Having ripped and tested my S/CD library (all work beautifully in Mednafen), I did a quick compile of NJ's rom converters. The great news is that the source is now extremely multi-platform friendly and compiles very easily, so if you use an OS that doesn't have any working publicly released binaries (such as, perhaps, Mac OS X Intel), you can now easily compile the converters on your own. It only takes a few minutes. The only catch is that there are a few modifications that you'll probably have to make to the source. These are the steps that I had to follow to get the converters to build successfully:
- Change all instances of "zopen(" to something else (I use "z_open("). This doesn't even take 10 seconds using a text editor that can recursively search-and-replace. TextWrangler (freeware) does this beautifully.
- Remove all <malloc.h> headers. I only found one in common.h and unzip.c each.
- cd into the romcnv source directory and compile! (make -f makefile.mvs UNIX=1)
- I always ran into a problem at this point that required me to run: ranlib ./obj_mvs/zlib.a
- Run make one more time
Since there are a few differences between NJ's official release and the backends I've been maintaining for MacX_romcnv (my version requires you to specify a save path, allows you to automatically remove the converted files from the zip, and, of course, is compatible with the GUI), I've updated those backends, and as usual, have posted them over at the MacX_romcnv release thread.
I think these should run on Intels, but don't have one to test on, so if any Intel users want to give these a shot I'd love to hear the results.
For more information and downloads, click here!
There are 5 comments - Join In and Discuss Here