Posted By: Shrygue
via The Metro
PS3 gamers across the world have woken up to find their consoles unable to connect online.
In some cases, users have even experienced problems playing offline, as well as finding that Trophy data and saved information had been corrupted by the error.
The 'error: 8001050f' message is thought to be related to the a calendar reset on February 28, when the original PS3 systems were reset to January 1, 2000
Sony have recognised the problem via their Twitter page, posting the following advice for users:
Users with the newer PS3 Slim models are unaffected, but it has been advised that users with older PS3 models should not use their console until further notice.
"We're aware that many of you are having problems connecting to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it. Stay tuned for updates."
UPDATE: Sony has issued a statement on the problem (via Eurogamer)
As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.
We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.
- The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
- When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
- When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game.”
- When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
- Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.
We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.
As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologise for any inconvenience caused.
For up-to-date info check the Sony official EU twitter account